May 16, 2010

What Would You Do?

May 16, 2010

What would you do if you woke up from a nap and everything was blurry?

I was told that should be the first line to my book (not that I'm writing one but if I did that should be the first line). That is what I have been dealing with this week and it has definitely been one of the worst weeks I've ever had. I was taking Topamax migraine medicine for 9 days when I got the rare side effect of "secondary angle closure glaucoma". Monday night/Tuesday morning the ER sent me away saying they didn't have the right equipment to figure out what was wrong with me so I went home not being able to see and not knowing what was wrong. Tuesday morning I went to an eye physician and put on medication to bring the pressure down behind my eyes. It was up to 33 and on Friday was at about 7. I've been recovering but the progress is slow and my eyes hurt a lot. I can now see again but my vision is not yet the way it was. Each day it has gotten better so I hope that will continue.

There have been many hours of laying on the couch with my eyes closed with nothing to do but think and sleep. I've thought about things I'd rather loose than my eye sight. My list contains just about anything, other than my heart. I think I'd rather loose my hearing, a leg or both legs, any finger etc. We rely so much on our vision and when you don't have it your independence fades.

3 comments:

Tom and Jen Loveland Family said...

Oh, my goodness. That it awful! I hope you are feeling better soon, both from the migraines and also from the eye side-effects. And I agree with you about losing sight/eyes. That would definitely be one of the worst things to lose.

Unknown said...

J.D.
Hope your day at work is good and remember to rest your eyes.
Love you,
MOM

Jamie said...

I think you should write the book:) I would read it... even if you wouldnt!