
176.528 - INTERSECTION - PAVED ROUTE (VA ROUTE 603 / NON NPS) - L
October 11, 2009
Many people have asked me now that I'm home what do I do. Well, I still have to work...in the office. Then the response is "OK, so what do you do". I decided to let everyone know a little about what I do when I'm in the office. One task that takes up a lot of my time is going through something called "road logs". It is basically a log of all intersections, parking lots, bridges and overpasses that we come across when we drive the route. After we collect the route I have to watch all of the video and update the road logs. I make sure all of the intersections are there and in proper order, I make sure the entries fit our program's format, and most importantly I add the updated mileage. I posted one entry above as an example.....imagine a whole .xls list of these and on a 500 mile long route (like Blue Ridge Parkway) can take up a lot of time. While I'm doing this I also look at the GPS we collect with the truck and compare that with the parking lot shapes our program collects (image of GPS is above). Oh, and if you were wondering...YES it is boring, but the pay check is always nice :). I also do other things in the office but I'll save that for another post.


No comments:
Post a Comment