November 28, 2009

To San Diego, CA (Vacation)

November 21, 2009
I flew into Phoenix, AZ very late Friday night. My friends and I were on a mission to take a vacation and we decided that San Diego would be the perfect spot. We got up Saturday morning, packed the car and hit the road. Along the way we passed several cattle farms which I didn't know existed in the southwest. The big difference between SW cattle farms versus the ones in Nebraska is that the in SW the cattle have shelters with fans. The heat is pretty bad down there in the summer so the cattle get some comfort having shade. They are pretty big operations down there and you will know when you pass one because the smell is pretty strong. We also passed some sand dunes. The dunes went on for miles and there were several people camping with their dune buggies along the interstate at Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area. We were very close to the Mexico boarder traveling along I-8. We could see the boarder fence and we were stopped at 3 boarder check points along the interstate. We didn't have any problems at the check points but stopping traffic along the interstate does create a bit of a back-up. I am still grateful for their efforts. There was a sign at one of the check points with statistics stating how many pounds of drugs they have seized etc... It was pretty amazing. We finally pulled into our La Mesa, CA hotel around 5:30pm, unpacked and then headed out to dinner. Overall the travel day went very well and the two kids (Isaac and Zach...with an h :) ) handled the long ride very well.

No comments: