July 5, 2010

Around Sterling

July 4, 2010

Today my mom and I decided to hang around Sterling. There are several parks around the area so we decided to check out two of them. We went to Algonkian Park where there are several picnic areas and a few trails. One trail is a 2-mile loop, we decided to walk part of it. It was a nice hike in the trees. It was hot so the shade was a welcome relief. While on the hike we saw several daddy long-leg spiders and other little creatures. Virginia definitely has more bugs than Colorado! It will take some time to get used to it again. All of the bugs remind me of Minnesota. The second park we went to was Claude Moore Park. It has several more trails but most of them are closed due to snow storm damage...which happened LAST winter! I guess they are very short staffed or don't have enough chain saws! There is a trail that leads to a Civil War lookout post...but the trail was closed. That was a bummer. It was about 4:30pm and pretty hot out when we went to this park so we only spent about 1/2 an hour there an were on our way back to the comfort of air conditioning.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your pictures turned out really well. I'm so glad for this blog so that I can see some of what you took.
Love you.
MOM