August 26, 2009

Blue Ridge Parkway

August 26, 2009
This morning I took the truck to an alternator shop (basically the only one in town). I pulled up to the place and wasn't sure what to expect. It was on a small side street and the building didn't look like much. I started looking around and noticed a lot of alternators lying around which is a good sign. I met the owner and he was really nice and smart, I love talking to smart people. They make me feel like I'm not speaking a foreign language. We discussed the truck and had the typical "what does this thing do" conversation. He said “lets take a look under the hood” and I said “OK, but you aren’t going to like it”. Taking out 3 alternators from a diesel engine and testing them and then reinstalling them is no small task. I would not want to be the one to do it. After about 30 minutes he ended up giving me a ride back to the hotel so I didn’t have to wait for a cab, which was appreciated. The car conversation was about all of my travel and how much I’m home, or not, how long I’ve been doing this job and how old I was. I just laughed. I told him my age and he said “oh, I would have guessed younger” I said “yeah, that is what most people say”. I got out of the car and said “I’d tell you to have fun but I know you won’t so good luck” he laughed. I’m glad the truck is out of my hair for a couple of days and I hope the guy can fix the truck by Monday/Tuesday morning. He said that sounded like a reasonable date to have it done so we’ll see.

I am flying back to Denver tomorrow and will be there for the weekend. I hope to be back out here on Monday or Tuesday next week and then the truck will be working so I can finish Blue Ridge Parkway!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad the prospect of fixing the truck is good. I hope you can enjoy being home (however brief your visit may be), and that you can take care of your drywall problem and stil have time for yourself

Unknown said...

wish i could come to denver while you are home but alas have kids to watch.
mom