September 9, 2010

Nez Perce National Historical Park

September 9, 2010
This morning started off with a waffle breakfast with huckleberries! Yummm. They were fresh and not frozen. For the past few months I've been looking forward to coming to this area to have huckleberries again.

I had high hopes for today...collect the three routes at Nez Perce and head North. It did happen but it didn't happen quickly. This park should have taken us about 30 minutes but 4 & 1/2 hours later we were finally on the road heading North. We made it to the hotel at 8:30pm MTN time. The rutting on the truck was acting up. It wasn't very noticeable, the problem was hard to detect. We could only tell after we transferred all of the data to a USB and processed the data. We got -999 numbers, which are not good. After several phone calls and recollecting the routes 4 times we finally got valid numbers. I have no idea what happened and I'm not sure why it finally worked. I'll be keeping an eye on the rutting in the upcoming days. Hopefully today was a fluke.Here is a short sentence about the park...
"Nez Perce National Historical Park commemorates the contributions the Nez Perce have made and help protect and preserve sites, stories, and artifacts associated with their history and culture." http://www.nps.gov/nepe/historyculture/

There wasn't much to this park. There was a pretty cool old bridge, which I don't think is really part of the park. There were 3 cemeteries at the park and a couple old buildings and a monument. The monument says "1836 Site of Lapwai Mission. The first home, the first school and the first church in Idaho."

During the drive North to Kalispell, MT we passed through some really pretty farm country then some rolling hills with wide rivers. It was pretty and nice to have something to look at during the long drive. We passed through an area in Idaho that had a wildfire. We couldn't see flames but we could see the thick haze in the sky and the smoke smell was strong. http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/
After looking at this link it seems that there are two fires near where we were driving in ID.

Oh, my TV remote is pretty sweet. The up button doesn't work, only the down button works. If I want to go up a channel I have to punch in the channel number....nice! I'm going to be here for 4 days with a broken remote. I guess I probably won't be watching much TV anyway but still....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OH, aren't you glad you don't need to get out of your chair to change the channels on a regular basis. We always had to do that.. LOVE YOU.
MOM

Tom and Jen Loveland Family said...

definitely looks like a place I want to visit, especially for the huckleberries. yum, indeed!