


We arrived in Gettysburg on 1/6/09, we woke up to rain and freezing ice on the truck the morning of 1/7/09. Not a good thing when a good work day depends on dry roads. However, this time I was excited to have time to explore. Gettysburg is one of my favorite parks because of it's history and because of the ghosts, yes ghosts. We drove around the park a little and then decided to check out the cyclorama and museum. If you are wondering what a cyclorama is you aren't alone. I found out it is a circular painting of a battle scene from Gettysburg. They didn't have photos back then so paintings were how they saved their memories. Some info about the cyclorama...it remained in private hands until the 1940's but the building didn't have any temperature or humidity control so the painting deteriorated until the new cyclorama center was completed in 1962 as part of the Mission 66 program.
The ghost adventure started the evening of 1/9 when we decided to go to dinner at the Farnsworth House. It is one of the most haunted bed and breakfast locations in the USA. I wanted to see a ghost but I wasn't expecting to smell the horrid smell that seemed to surround our table. I kept wondering if it was the food and then the 3 of us would make sure it wasn't us (because sometimes working in the van doesn't make you smell like roses). The smell was like a dead animals or really, really bad stinky feet. We never did figure out the source of the smell. I had a good meal: peanut soup, spoon bread, ham with grape sauce, yams with brown sugar....yum.
In the evening of 1/10 we decided to go to the Farnsworth House for a "haunted tour". It was very entertaining and the smell from the night before all of a sudden became clear. The first thing the tour guide said was "be aware of not only what you see but what you hear and SMELL". I started laughing and am convinced that the horrid smell was a ghostly smell from during the battle days. It is said that during the time of war people (living) had to walk around covering their mouth and nose due to the bad smell of death.
We also stayed one night at the Gettysburg Hotel, which has a history of being haunted. As I typed away on my computer in the hotel room I heard something that sounded like a fly buzz by my ear. I looked around but didn't see anything, so I looked by my window thinking I'd see the fly tapping on the window but no luck. I'm convinced this was a ghostly sound of artillery fire, it came out of nowhere and sounded really loud.
As far as truck adventures to, during our time at Gettysburg we ended up having a bad network hub, had castling with rutbar sensors, and we lost an alternator belt which we tried to change but something was wrong with the tensioner so we took it to a shop. When I asked the mechanic if it was hard to change, expecting him to tell me something was wrong with the tensioner, his only reply was "yeah, it took two of us to do it"....thanks for the info! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment