
July 18, 2009
Just when I thought we were going to have a "normal" day the last 15 minutes of our travels proved me wrong. Things started off well, we finished our work in Ozarks, took a short hike to Round Spring, ate lunch at Jolly Cone (a good ice cream stand) and headed east. It was a long day but we made it to Elizabethtown, KY around 8:30pm Central/9:30pm Eastern. It was only about a month ago that we were about 30 miles south of here working in Mammoth Cave! Anyway, we were getting off of the interstate to find a hotel and I noticed a bad smell in the truck. I asked Jeff "Does it smell in here" and he said "yep". It turned out that one of the computer system batteries was overheating, smoking and smelled like sulfur. The strong smell filled the truck and I'm sure I lost a few years off of my life breathing that in. We pulled into the 3rd hotel (this town is booked) and finally found available rooms and unhooked the battery. What a way to end an almost perfect day. Tomorrow we will be heading further east to get to the northern end of Shenandoah National Park.
Just when I thought we were going to have a "normal" day the last 15 minutes of our travels proved me wrong. Things started off well, we finished our work in Ozarks, took a short hike to Round Spring, ate lunch at Jolly Cone (a good ice cream stand) and headed east. It was a long day but we made it to Elizabethtown, KY around 8:30pm Central/9:30pm Eastern. It was only about a month ago that we were about 30 miles south of here working in Mammoth Cave! Anyway, we were getting off of the interstate to find a hotel and I noticed a bad smell in the truck. I asked Jeff "Does it smell in here" and he said "yep". It turned out that one of the computer system batteries was overheating, smoking and smelled like sulfur. The strong smell filled the truck and I'm sure I lost a few years off of my life breathing that in. We pulled into the 3rd hotel (this town is booked) and finally found available rooms and unhooked the battery. What a way to end an almost perfect day. Tomorrow we will be heading further east to get to the northern end of Shenandoah National Park.

1 comment:
I didn't know burned up batteries would smell like that... gross! Good thing you finally broke the silence to ask about the smell:) At least you got to town before it happened!
Post a Comment