September 5, 2009

Great Smoky Mountains National Park






September 5, 2009
Today is a day to celebrate! We finally finished Blue Ridge Parkway!!! I am glad to be done and can say with confidence that I have no desire to go back anytime soon...I've seen it all (most routes I've seen more than once). Right near the end of the parkway we saw a fire truck zoom out of the maintenance area. It turned out that some guy's truck was on fire but luckily he was in a pullout and not blocking traffic. This is the 3rd car I've seen up in flames during the 5 years on the job. We also saw some elk today. That was an unexpected surprise.

We were able to start Great Smoky Mountains around 3:30pm and we collected 11 routes. Right before we walked to dinner it started to rain :(. The radar doesn't look that great so I'm not sure how things will turn out tomorrow. The only good thing is that there are a ton of people here and lots of people driving on the roads will help them dry faster. All of the hotels in town are booked and I'm very, very lucky to have made reservations a few days ago and actually found one that offered the government rate. It will be interesting to see what this place looks like on Tuesday after the big holiday weekend is over. Hopefully it will calm down some because getting across town took us about 15 minutes and this town is really, really small. We are staying across the street from Harrah's casino. We walked through it looking for restaurants and the place is defiantly not like Vegas but I'm sure those who gamble still have just as much fun. We did find a restaurant but it was typical casino food and not that fulfilling.

No comments: