We got the truck back today around noon. We turned everything on and the alternators were not charging the batteries! After some investigating on our own we decided to swap regulators (again) and it worked. We drove to our first route and I got out to open the gate and walked back to the truck and realized that someone at one of the repair shops hit something with our sensor bar on the front of the truck. Luckily they did not hit it hard but they did not fess up to it when we picked up the truck and I didn't notice it until after we left. If this truck were not on it's last leg there would have been a lengthy discussion about the situation but since this truck is on it's way out I figured it wasn't worth trying to get them to admit to their fault. They will have to live with it on their conscience anyway. We were able to collect a couple of small routes around Asheville that were wet last week. It is good to finally have those crossed off of our list. We drove south and 2 routes are still wet so they will have to wait a few more days. During the few routes we did collect we had a communication issue with our sensor bar on the front of the truck. The easy "check the network cable fix" did nothing for us. I ended up taking apart one of the computers while Jeff took out a timer chip on a board in the sensor bar, neither is a fun job. After that we did some test runs and it appears to be working but when we finished putting things back together it was about 4:30pm and there was no time to make the long drive to other routes. On the way back I stopped along the parkway where you can see the Biltmore house. It is a huge house you can tour (I have not had time to go there). A photo does not do it justice especially when you are so far away but I posted a couple of photos anyway.
September 1, 2009
Blue Ridge Parkway
We got the truck back today around noon. We turned everything on and the alternators were not charging the batteries! After some investigating on our own we decided to swap regulators (again) and it worked. We drove to our first route and I got out to open the gate and walked back to the truck and realized that someone at one of the repair shops hit something with our sensor bar on the front of the truck. Luckily they did not hit it hard but they did not fess up to it when we picked up the truck and I didn't notice it until after we left. If this truck were not on it's last leg there would have been a lengthy discussion about the situation but since this truck is on it's way out I figured it wasn't worth trying to get them to admit to their fault. They will have to live with it on their conscience anyway. We were able to collect a couple of small routes around Asheville that were wet last week. It is good to finally have those crossed off of our list. We drove south and 2 routes are still wet so they will have to wait a few more days. During the few routes we did collect we had a communication issue with our sensor bar on the front of the truck. The easy "check the network cable fix" did nothing for us. I ended up taking apart one of the computers while Jeff took out a timer chip on a board in the sensor bar, neither is a fun job. After that we did some test runs and it appears to be working but when we finished putting things back together it was about 4:30pm and there was no time to make the long drive to other routes. On the way back I stopped along the parkway where you can see the Biltmore house. It is a huge house you can tour (I have not had time to go there). A photo does not do it justice especially when you are so far away but I posted a couple of photos anyway.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment