October 27, 2009

Wupatki, Sunset Crater and Walnut Canyon National Monuments







October 27, 2009
Today we collected three smaller parks in the Flagstaff, AZ area. Wupatki (dates back to the 1100s) and Walnut Canyon (dates between 1125 to 1250) both are ruins of old communities. Sunset Crater is an old volcano "Sunset Crater Volcano was born in a series of eruptions sometime between 1040 and 1100. Lava flows and cinders still look as fresh and rugged as the day they formed." http://www.nps.gov/sucr/index.htm
It was very windy outside today. The truck was blowing around and sage brush was hitting the truck with quite a bit of force. I took a photo of some sage brush blowing across the road. Despite the wind the truck held up pretty well. I only got 2 errors that caused a re-run. The pavement cameras didn't initialize right one time but those were the only three issues we had today. We were done collecting around 2pm so we took a short 1 mile hike in Walnut Canyon to look at the ruins there. It was a nice hike but there was an 185 foot elevation drop at the beginning, which was fine on the way down but on the way back up asthma set in again...so much for living in denial. Looks like another DRs visit might be in my future to get an inhaler (which I haven't had since about 2001)...uhhhh.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great photos! I knew the collection of those parks wouldn't take too long - as long as there weren't any problems with the van of course.